re: Sound Problem (Woody)

> From: "ChinHo Tan" <s_chtan@hotmail.com>
>
> Hi, I have SoundBlaster Live Value. But Woody cannot determine and
> configure the sound during the installlation, so what can I do to
> reconfigure my sound after the installation. I tried sndConfig but
> it doesn't work as it needs a kernet module and I don't know where
> to get that module. Thanks

Which kernel option did you choose when you installed Woody? (Boot from CDROM and press F3 at the boot: prompt.) If you used the default (idepci) you will be amazed and upset to hear that there are no sound modules. I think that the same is true of the "compact" kernel. If you installed the "vanilla" kernel you would be all right. (You only know all this halfway through the install process when you select modules.)

You could:
1. Install Woody again from scratch, choosing the "vanilla" kernel, or
2. Install a new kernel.
3. Create and install a custom kernel.

I successfully tried the third option and installed kernel 2.4.10 from the source package on the Woody CDROM. You can find a HOWTO ("Creating custom kernels with Debian's kernel-packaging system") at http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/

Here are a few ammendments for Woody:
2. What to install: 9. task-teltk-dev does not exist in Woody. You need libncurses5-dev.

3.2 Setting up the source tree: typo - the command to unzip the tar file should be "tar -xjf kernel-source-2.2.19.tar.bz2". You don't need to carry out the second "tar" operation.

4.1 make xconfig: Woody can't do this because X is already running. Use "make menuconfig" instead.

4.3 make config: When make menuconfig is finished you get the message:
"Check the top-level Makefile for additional configuration. Next, you must run "make dep". This seems to be an unnecessary step if you are going to use make-kpkg, but I ran "make dep" just to be sure.

5.3 Making the kernel image: I found that I needed root privileges to run make-dpkg (type "su" and enter the root password).

6.1 Installing the debianized kernel: If you have other systems on your PC (Win98, WInNT etc), you will not want to write to the mbr. If so:

"install boot-block using existing lilo.conf?" = NO
"make /dev/hd?? active?" = NO

Otherwise, go ahead and select the defaults.

You should now be able to find and load your sound modules with "modconf".

Good luck,

Chris Lale.