Use CUPS! (was Re: apsfilter prints out NOTHING in woody)

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Gary Turner wrote:

> My experience installing apsfilter was very pleasant and without hitch.

Mine was the opposite, which is why I tried CUPS, my experience with which
was very pleasant and without hitch :)

apt-get install cupsys
apt-get install cupsys-client

You (the OP, i.e.) may also want to

apt-get install cupsomatic

if your printer is not already supported bu CUPS (it comes with native HP
and EPSON drivers, but even then, there may be some better ones available
in cupsomatic).

Then, make sure the cupsys daemon is running (do something like 'ps aux |
grep cupsys'), and then, in your browser of choice, go to

http://localhost:631/

I'd recommend following the link to On-Line Help first, and browsing
through the Software Administrators Manual and the Software Users
Manual.  All will be revealed!  Then follow the Do Administration Tasks
link (when prompted, login as "root" with your root password - this is the
_only_ thing about CUPS which makes me a little nervous!) and select Add
Printer.

hth

Patrick

--