Re: Printer problem

This one time, at band camp, Deryk Barker said:
> Thus spake Stephen Gran (gashuffer09@comcast.net):
> > Is the module lp loaded as well?  You might have built it into the
> > kernel, but it's worth checking.  It is, of course, unhelpfully, not in
> > the same place as the basic parport stuff in the kernel config.  The
> > first two are enabled in 'parallel port support', and lp.o is under
> > 'character devices' - printer on parallel port or something like that,
> > IIRC.  I've made this mistake as well.
>
> Oh, excellent fellow! 'twas indeed not built. I am rebuilding the
> kernel as I type.
>
> I wonder about some of these defaults: do the majority of debian users
> a) not have an Intel machine and/or b) not have a parallel port
> printer?

I think that it's separated like this because there are many uses for a
parallel port - PLIP, printing, consoles, etc.  So they split the
recognition of the parallel port (a basic piece of hardware) from it's
function in your setup (PLIP is under networking, printer is under
character devices, etc.).  Kind of strange when you're moving (like I
was when I made this mistake) from the Windows world, where the only
thing you do with a parallel port is hook a printer to it.

Well, glad it's working for you!
Steve
--
O.K., fine.