Re: Problems write access on vfat partition

This one time, at band camp, Matthias Daub said:
> I am trying to mount my Win32 data partition so that I am able to use
> it under Debian as well. My fstab for this partition looks like this:
>
> /dev/hda5  /mnt   vfat   rw,user,auto,exec    0   0
>
> I have full read access but I have no write access. Do you any idea of
> how to change that?
>
> Thank you!

vfat doesn't understand user/group permissions at all, so when a vfat
partition is mounted, IIRC, the kernel gives it user/group ownership
based on who mounted it.  If it's mounted at boot time, it gets
user/group root, and you can read it but not write to it.  Try noauto in
fstab, and then mount it as a user - you should now have write access to
it.  If you find it obnoxious to have to do by hand every time, you
could put a line in .bashrc and .bash_logout to handle
mounting/umounting if you want.

HTH, Steve
--
If you MUST get married, it is always advisable to marry beauty.
Otherwise, you'll never find anybody to take her off your hands.