Packages to be installed as upgraded same version as those already installed

Running apt-get -u upgrade lists 67 packages that will be upgraded. It
doesn't make sense that so many packages should be upgraded since this box
was installed just a week ago. I've checked the versions of several packages
to be upgraded, and they're the same as those already installed. Not sure
why they are slated for upgrade.

I would also like to find out which packages to be upgraded are from what
distribution. I've installed some packages from testing and most from
stable.

The docs at http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html
state that using apt-get install `apt-show-versions -u -b | grep unstable`
will install only packages from the unstable distribution.

When I run `apt-show-versions -u -b | grep stable`, or the same command
using 'testing' or 'unstable', the same set of packages are listed each
time. This doesn't fit with what the docs state as noted above.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dave