Re: Dynamically linked lilo is a problem

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 03:43:25AM +1000, Andrew Luke Nesbit wrote:
> Whew!  I just had a frightful past couple of hours trying to restore a
> trashed MBR :(
>
> What made this process far more difficult than necessary was the fact
> that the lilo executable (/sbin/lilo.real) is a dynamically linked
> executable, so it can't be run when mounted by a rescue disk.

You should have /lib in that context, where all of /sbin/lilo.real's
libraries live. Say you have the filesystem mounted on /target; then
'LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/target/lib /sbin/lilo.real' will allow it to run.

> Why is this?  Wouldn't it make more sense to have a statically-linked
> lilo so that in emergencies one can easily use it?

Statically-linked executables are a real maintenance pain. Any time
there's a security fix to glibc, for example, all statically linked
executables have to be recompiled to pick it up. We encountered this
earlier in the year when there was a zlib vulnerability and eight other
packages had to be recompiled too.