security updates overwrite local mailman package

Hi,

I have to manually build mailman packages as the debian package doesn't
support qmail out of the box. I have stayed up to date with security updates,
compiling from the source package each time mailman is updated. The problem
is that apt-get upgrade tries to overwrite my locally compiled package with
the one at security.debian.org even though the version number is the same.

Why does it do this? Is there some way I can stop it?

thanks, Iain.
--
GnuPG key: 580EE8D7 available on public key servers.