APT overrules self-compiled packages

Hi,

[ Sorry, I'm not a native speaker ]

I tried to (re-)compile some debian packages on my machine using
apt-get source and dpkg-buildpackage - like I did for years, when I was
running potato - just to have optimized code for my AMD K7.  But unlike
potato's apt, woody's apt reinstalls every selfcompiled package using
sources.list everytime I run apt-get upgrade, although it is the same
version.  Like this:

apt-get source xfree86
cd xfree86-4.1.0
dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc
dpkg -i ../xlibs_4.1.0-16_i386.deb  # and some more...
apt-get upgrade
[..]
The following packages will be upgraded
xlibs
[..]

apt-get installs a new xlibs_4.1.0-16_i386.deb package from a remote mirror
or my local cache (I tried cleaning my cache, too!).  Notice: it's the same
version I installed before with dpkg!

Has Anyone an idea what I could have missed, when I searched for an explicit
mention about that behaviour in the documentation?  Is that apt's new
policy?

I think, it has nothing to do with priorities in /etc/apt/preferences, I
nearly tried everything.  It's just as if APT regards official packages
as newer as a matter of principle.

I just found one solution (in theory!): making a
local package site including a Release.gz file and giving them a higher
priority through /etc/apt/preferences.  But I don't want this.

Thanks for help!

_
* Kenny Doberenz