promise ata-66

Hi, Debians,

I post a question once in a while in here, and usually don't get
useful answers, mainly because there is no way to know what
is going on with my system from someplace else.  I do get
asked to let people know if I find a problem and get a solution,
so here is one.

Trying to install woody from the download floppys on the
debain website.  I have a system that uses a promise ata-66
card, which means that potato needs a special kernel to
boot.  The potato kernel boots fine if I use the special kernel.
The rescue disk for woody says it is booting with 2.2.20 which
is a potato kernel.  It is not the version that supports the
promise cards though.  So the woody rescue disk will not
recognize my hd attached to the promise card.  I thought,
I already have a potato 2.2.20 kernel on my hard drive, I
will just copy that to the rescue disk, naming it correctly, of
course, and I will be able to get into the woody installation
process with all my hard drives.  And, sure enough, it works.
But I still don't have a functioning 2.4 kernel.  The woody
installation process copied another copy of 2.2.20 into my
/boot directory.  The system does identify itself as
linux 3 though.

Come on guys.  Don't make this so hard.  How can I get
a real 2.4 kernel that works?  Yes, I know, use dselect.
Did that and have discussed with you how it looks to
me like the kernel is not recognizing my promise card
no matter how I do it, including roll your own.  No solution.

Gleason