VMWare instalation - help, please

Hi,
I tried to install VMware, but with no success:
1. after untarring VMware-workstation-3.1.1-1790.tar.gz I came to
directory vmware-distrib, found *install.pl and did ./install.pl, the
result was: "The use of "./install.pl" to install VMware Workstation is
deprecated." So I went to next step:
2. I found old-install.pl and started it. The result was:
"Perform default installation? (yes/no/help) [yes]

You must read and accept the End User License Agreement to continue.
Press return to display it.

EULA: No such file or directory
Do you accept? (yes/no) yes
Thank you.

The boot-time init script will be stored under /etc.
This is the location of the script that loads the vmware
kernel modules on reboot.
Installing /usr/local/bin/vmware-wizard

### open: vmware-wizard: No such file or directory."

I'm running testing/unstable on Athlon 2G, 512M RAM.
What am I to do? I have downloaded .rpm, too, so could I use alien to
convert rpm to deb? Or is there some my fault?
Any help will be appreciated.
Many thanks to all.
Matej