Re: The screen is not centered on my laptop

On Sat, Aug 03, 2002 at 02:29:06AM +0200, Michele wrote:
> I' dont think i need a framebuffer, but i have no idea of what it really is
> or how i can manage them.

Since this is a little older, have you already found a solution or
make your problems disappear?

However, chances are, that you do need framebuffers. So in that case
(if the centering is the central part of your question) try playing
a little with the fbset utility. Get it if it's not already on your
system. Calling it without framebuffers enabled, it gives you
something like: "open /dev/fb0: No such device", otherwise you find
out some details about your current settings.

As a first step, you can try [fbset]
-move {left|right|up|down}
                     move the visible part of the display in the
                     specified direction,

as stated in the fbset manpage to move your display around. If it's
any good, look at the /etc/fb.modes file and find a line that could
resemble your preferred timings, e.g. the best my Sony LCD can do is
1024x768, which is just perfect. Thus, I can choose modes up to that
one. Here's an excerpt from the file:

mode "640x480-60"
	# D: 25.175 MHz, H: 31.469 kHz, V: 59.94 Hz
	geometry 640 480 640 480 8
	timings 39722 48 16 33 10 96 2
endmode

So now you can try it out with "fbset -g 640 480 640 480 8" or "fbset
-t 39722 48 16 33 10 96 2" and you'll note the changes. The next
step depends on the drivers you're using. Check the documentation in
the kernel source's Documentation/fb/ directory. Many settings can
be applied using your bootloader.

andrej

--
echo ${girl_name} > /etc/dumpdates