Re: Oops. 1 Gig Recommendation 2nd try.

There must be something wrong with your intallation. I am running Linux 2.2.x, Debian 3.x on a P133 with 64MB of ram, and it is running normally slow. I remember Win95, this was way then, used to run equally slow on this box. GMOME takes about 5 seconds to start, like Matijs says it was only NAUTILUS that was REALLY slow, but, like him, I also switched to gmc to resolve this problem.

I am telling you, it must be something wrong with you installation. Maybe the guys at your local LUG can help you. After all, two heads are better than one. Right?

Good luck
On 2002.08.06 21:34 nate wrote:
<quote who="Matijs van Zuijlen">

> How is this possible? I run gnome with no trouble on a 366MHz
Celeron
> laptop with 96MB Ram and 128MB swap. The only unusable part was
> nautilus, so I just use gmc. OTOH, I don't know what you consider to
be
> useable, since:

I don't know. maybe I am just used to the snappyness in afterstep
the KDE startup is especially painful. I can start afterstep
probably in under 3 seconds, KDE takes (Seemingly) a minute or
more. drawing windows is slow too to me. I tried it on my
Athlon 1300 768MB ram with 9.1GB ultrawide SCSI drive(u160
drive connected to an UW controller) and it was still sluggish.
I tried it on a DUal P3-866 with 512MB and 3x18GB 15k RPM
SCSI drives in software raid 5 and it was STILL sluggish.
(SuSE 8. ..). It was pretty usable, but things like resizing
windows would be choppy. the dual p3-866 had a slow video
card so that would be partially to blame(its a rackmount
so the video is crap). my athlon had a geforce2 MX though
which is halfway decent. maybe I am spoiled by the
performance of afterstep. it's been my exclusive window
manager for probably 3 years now.

>> X doesn't become useful to me till it gets to 1024x768
>
> and I like X on my 800x600 fine.

I just can't use it. I've seen some people who just have their
fonts tiny..i use bigger fonts I had to use a thinkpad 600
when i first started at my current job for a few weeks
and it was achingly bad for me. even when I disabled the
afterstep wharf and pager, so there was NOTHING on the
screen but the apps.

it is usable, but i cant stand to use it for long periods
of time ..thats just me ....
1024x768 is great though

nate