Re: snort configuration options ignored?

A followup to my own question. First of all it turned out I was installing from stable (woody). A check of the logs revealed that the snort process would always fail immediately after installation, although it could be restarted manually after that. I used apt pinning to get the version of snort from testing, which in fact installed with no problems and seems to be running fine.

Looks like it is time for me to figure out how to file a bug against snort in stable.

I just apt-get installed snort (from testing), and answered the configuration questions, but now when I look at the snort process that is running, I see it was invoked with a HOME_NET value of 192.168.0.0/16, instead of the IP and range I gave it during configuration. When I run dpkg-reconfigure, the previous (correct) value I gave it is remembered, but snort starts up with the incorrect default. I don't see my IP address appearing in snort.conf or snort.debian.conf (which is empty).

            Wilhelm Fitzpatrick  |  When we speak of free
         http://www.3roses.com/  |  software we are referring
                rafial@well.com  |  to freedom not price.