Re: something incredibly amiss in unstable and dpkg

My problem was that /var/lib/dpkg/available had been
corrupted.  Not sure how.  You can see one aspect of the
problem here:

/etc/cron.daily/dlocate:
dpkg-query: parse error, in file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line
197755 package `libstdc++2.10':
 newline in field name `ü?'

Anyway, dpkg would fail every time it tried to parse through
the file and so, from the symptoms, I thought dpkg itself
was broken.  Instead it was just the file.

I corrected by manually removing the file and then
using dselect to rebuild.

Heitzso