Re: parallel port printing

On Tue, 2002-08-06 at 13:58, Ron Johnson wrote:
[snip]

> Thanks.  Is there a more comprehensive doc on update-modules and
> /etc/modutils?  I.e., which file to I put the options in?  The
> update-modules man page is pretty skimpy.
>
> Also:
> - why wouldn't the kernel be picking up from the hardware that it is
> to use IRQ7?  It seems to be able to speak to the EPSON even in polling
> mode...
> - must I alias the lp module to /dev/lp0?  The old HOWTO at
> linuxprinting.org doesn't know whether aliasing lp to /dev/lp0 is
> only for devfs or not.

boy, all good questions, I'm afraid I'm a little light on answers,
though. What I can tell you about update-modules is that basically what
it does is cat all the files under /etc/modutils (checking inside
directories with the appropriate architecture name) to /etc/modules.conf
and then run modprobe -a. It is just a shell script so fire up your
favorite editor for more details.

On my system, I am not passing any options to parport I have the
following lines related to parallel printing in my /etc/modules.conf

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias     /dev/printers*        lp
alias     /dev/lp*              /dev/printers

I imagine that you have the alias lines as well unless you manually
removed them.

that's all I know, really. I have not had to make any changes to get my
parallel port working.

-Mark