Re: ssh bad configuration options

* James Hughes (jhughes@kos.net) [020806 22:01]:
> My ssh boot script (/etc/init.d/ssh) outputs the following warnings:
>
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config: line 6: Bad configuration option: RandomSeed
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config: line 13: Bad configuration option: QuietMode
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config: line 16: Bad configuration option: FascistLogging
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config: line 25: Bad configuration option: KerberosOrLocalPasswd
> /etc/ssh/sshd_config: terminating, 4 bad configuration options

These look like old options to me.

> I don't know when this started, I just noticed this the other day. If
> I comment out these options and restart the service, I get:
>
> Disabling protocol version 2. Could not load host key
> Restarting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshdDisabling protocol version
> 2. Could not load host key
> .
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this? Is commenting out these options the
> right thing to do?

Unfortunately, keeping your old configs in place breaks when the config
file directives change significantly.  My recommendation will start you
off with a newer version of sshd_config.

Look for /etc/ssh/sshd_config.dpkg-dist to use as a new skeleton.  Make
your customizations to that file and rename it to /etc/ssh/sshd_config
(after backing up your existing one, of course!)

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/