Re: [UCLUG] LKM and chkrootkit

I had been considering installing chkrootkit on 1 of my servers after
reading about it in SysAdm magazine. One of the things that I noticed
was that all that the chkproc ( the part of chkrootkit that is probably
returning the warning) simply does a compares the output of the ps
command with the content of the /proc directory. It would seem to me
that (depending on frequency that chkproc is runn and system activity)
there is room for a _LOT_ of false positives here. If you happen to be
running a short shell script or listing a directory, the process may
show up in only 1 of the 2 places being compared at a point in time.
This would cause the warning that you are getting, and would be part of
normal, rather malicious system activity.
I was still looking at issues like this with this package. How long have
you been running it? I'm not in a hurry to add anything else that
creates a lot of noise (from a security standpoint) to my environment.
(I'm running a little PERL thingy to monitor access on the WAN and LAN
side of a Linksys Cable/DSL router and that's scary enough without
looking any farther!)
HTH!
stevep