Re: Two NICs

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 01:22:51PM +0530, Sridhar M.A. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have two network cards on my machine. Both of them are ne2k-pci. While
> one of the card connects to the internal network, the other one is
> connected to the internet. Till recently, one of the cards was a realtek
> 8139 and the other ne2k-pci. My /etc/network/interfaces had entries like
>
> iface eth0 inet static
>   address...
>
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
> Correspondingly /etc/modules.conf had these entries:
>
>   alias eth0 ne2k-pci
>   alias eth1 8139too
>
> As now both of them are ne2k-pci, I changed the /etc/modules.conf as
>
>   alias eth0 ne2k-pci
>   alias eth1 ne2k-pci
>
> But, now machine cannot connect to the internet through dhcp. How does
> one go about setting the interfaces when one or more cards are
> identical? man interfaces did not help me :-(

From Net-HOWTO:
6.3.1. If your driver is a module (Normal with newer distros)
The module will typically can detect all of the installed cards.
Information from the detection is stored in the file:

/etc/conf.modules.

Consider that a user has 3 NE2000 cards, one at 0x300 one at 0x240, and one
at 0x220. You would add the following lines to the /etc/conf.modules
file:

        alias eth0 ne
        alias eth1 ne
        alias eth2 ne

        options ne io=0x220,0x240,0x300

What this does is tell the program modprobe to look for 3 NE based cards at
the following addresses. It also states in which order they should be found
and the device they should be assigned.

--
Jerome