Re: kernal compile = eth0 go boom

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 01:14:39AM -0400, H. G. wrote:

> apologies, i sent this before i finished!
>
> hi, i'm pretty new to linux. i've been monitoring this list for over a
> month now. i successfully installed woody on my abit bp6 computer (smp @
> 2 celeron 466) using the bf2.4 kernel.
>
> as many on this list already know, the kernel does not come with smp
> support enabled so i have compiled and installed a custom 2.4.18
> kernel.the system boots from the kernel. there is one problem. my
> ethernet card (eth0) is not picking up an ip from the dhcp server? i've
> checked boot messages using
> dmesg | more
> and the driver for the ethernet card (via-rhine.c) is loaded with no
> reported errors. ifconfig reveals the card has been partially configured
> using the proper mac address and irq given in the driver message.
> /etc/network/interfaces is configured as follows:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> i still boot from the bf2.4 kernel (vmlinuz.old) and i can access the
> network no problem when i load this kernel. the messages given about the
> network card from either kernel are identical. i've had a friend who has
> the same hardware setup (mobo, ethernet card) have a look at my settings
> and he couldn't come up with anything though he thinks it might have
> something to do with software i have installed. i do know that i've
> installed dhcp-client installed and pump is not. i don't know of any
> other packages i should be looking for.
>
> anyone have any suggestions? anymore useful information i should
> provide?

It's got to be kernel related since old kernel = works, new kernel =
broken with same software setup.

I seem to remember reading on this list recently that you need certain
networking kernel options enabled to allow DHCP to work properly.  Try
temporarily changing to a static IP address (check what DHCP gives you
on the old kernel), and see if that causes it to work.  If it does,
you'll need to turn on those kernel options and rebuild the kernel.  The
.config file in the kernel build directory).  Possibly one of your log
files will tell you what's missing (grep CONFIG /var/log/*).

- Chris

happe