Re: Getting autofs to work "the Debian Way (TM)"

* Alvin Oga <aoga@Maggie.Linux-Consulting.com> [2002 Aug 04 18:50 -0500]:

> hi ya nate
>
> you probably need to add more options into your autofs config
> file for the floppy
>
> assuming you have
> 	vi auto.master
> 	#
> 	.. stuff..
> 	#
> 	# mount the floppy
> 	/.autofs	/etc/auto.fd  --timeout=60
> 	#
> 	#

I am looking to avoid creating new directories, particularly in the root
directory.  But what makes this directory different than
/var/autofs/misc that the autofs package uses by default?  I'm not
seeing why this will work and the default won't.

> 	vi auto.fd
> 	#
> 	# allow users to mount read/write the fd
> 	#
> 	floppy	 -fstype=auto,sync,nodev,nosuid,umask=0  :/dev/fd0
> 		( add "gid=users"  if you want "users" group to write it
> 		( or "umask=007"

Okay, I tried these user options to no avail.

> ls -la /.autofs/floppy
> touch /.autofs/floppy

Okay I assume the ls -la command here is working on listing the floppy
directory created by automount(8).  Doing the touch command that follows
seems to buy me nothing.

> - make a line from /mnt/fd instead of /mnt/floppy or something
> 	( ln -s /.autofs/floppy /mnt/fd )

Okay, this is generic and is the same thing as a link placed in the
user's directory pointing to the default directory the autofs package
creates.

So thinking about this further, I realized I have a machine that still
mounts a couple of vfat hard disks which I can write to.  A look there
revealed that adding gid=100,umask=000 might help this issue along and
indeed it did.

So, now I am doing three things (refer to earlier email):

/etc/auto.misc to have -fstype=auto

2. I have set the line for my floppy in /etc/auto.misc as follows:

floppy -fstype=auto,sync,nodev,nosuid,gid=100,umask=000 :/dev/fd0

3. I have links in /home/user, cdrom and floppy, that point to
/var/autofs/misc/cdrom and /var/autofs/misc/floppy respectively.

Now I have an autofs system that will mount vfat/msdos diskettes and
also allow reading and writing to those disks.  I also accomplishe this
staying within the default layout of the autofs Debian package as
possible.

Thanks for the clues!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and