Re: exim and xinetd

--- Vineet Kumar <debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net>
wrote:
> * Charles Baker (rascharles@yahoo.com) [020803
> 22:03]:
> > I can't seem to get the relationship between exim
> and
> > xinetd straight in my head. While I go do a little
> > more reading on exim and xinetd can someone give
> me
> > some pointers? Would it be better for exim to just
> run
> > in daemon mode?
> >
> > I see this in /etc/init.d/exim :
> >
> > # Exit if exim runs from /etc/inetd.conf
> > if [ -f /etc/inetd.conf ] && grep -q "^ *smtp"
> > /etc/inetd.conf; then
> >     exit 0
> > fi
>
> This little hack is used to determine if exim is to
> be started from
> inetd, in which case the initscript just exits. If
> you're running from
> xinetd, just add an "exit 0" to the top of the
> initscript, even before
> this little inetd.conf test. Also, for style points,
> make it look
> something like this:
>
> # <<Added by charles Sat Aug  3 23:26:59 PDT 2002
> exit 0
> # >>
>
> So you can tell what you changed and when
>

> > And even though I've got xinetd installed
> > /etc/inetd.conf does exists and contains a line
> > beginning w/ smtp. xinetd is running, and the exim
> > config in /etc/xinetd.conf is this :
> >
> > service smtp
> > {
> >         socket_type     = stream
> >         protocol        = tcp
> >         wait            = no
> >         user            = mail
> >         server          = /usr/sbin/exim
> >         server_args     = -bs
> > }
> >
> > A further complication could be my firewall,
> however,
> > I ran the port probe at grc.com and it shows that
> smtp
> > is open. A check of the firewall rules shows port
> 25
> > being forwarded appropriately. I can send mail
> locally
> > from my user account to root and the mail ends up
> back
> > in my user account as it should. I can send mail
> from
> > root to my local user account. but nothing is
> coming
> > in from outside.
>
> Run 'netstat -lp' to see if something is listening,
> and what it is.
> Hopefully you'll see that xinetd is listening on
> tcp/25.
>
> First confirm or deny that, and then we'll get to a
> more complete
> diagnosis of the problem.

{{SNIP}}

Man, I feel pretty stupid. The ``Connection closed by
foreign host.'' part should have tipped me off. I've
seen that before when the appropriate entry is not in
``/etc/hosts.allow'' . I first tried stmp, then smtpd
and finally exim . Now I can get mail.

=====
rascharles@yahoo.com
http://www.charleshbaker.com/~chb/