Re: Temperature monitoring

Jamin W.Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Aug 2002 Keith O'Connell
> <keith_oconnell@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > > Yes, GKrellm and some other programs support lm-sensors, which
> > > provides the kernel and daemon stuff to do the monitor and other
> > > programs connect to it to get the values that are availble in
> > > the BIOS.
> >
> > I installed and ran it. It is very nice, but there is no sign of
> > temperature. Could you elaborate on how?
> >
> >  I downloaded gkrellm & gkrellm-gnome from woody
>
> You need to install "lm-sensors-source" to provide kernel drivers and
> "lm-sensors" to provide tools for using the drivers.  And lastly, if you
> want to read the information via gkrellm, you will need to get the plugin
> from www.gkrellm.net as it does not appear to be packaged for Debian yet.

Actually, you do not need to install a plugin to monitor sensors with
gkrellm.  Sensor monitoring is builtin.  After you install lm-sensors
(which you do need to do) gkrellm will detect that a directory
/proc/sys/dev/sensors/CHIP exists and then a "Sensors" configuration
option will appear in the Builtin monitor list. "CHIP" will be
something like lm80-i2c-0-28, w83782d-i2c-0-2d, or via686a-isa-6000
depending on the hardware monitoring chip you have on your motherboard.
Then you may configure temperature, fan, or voltage monitoring.

Bill