Re: write ntfs partition with dd

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 03:55, Fromm Andreas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need a simple and fast way to restore the computers of a teaching room running WinNT after they are modyfied during the different trainings we offer here. I was thinking of making this with a linux boot cd wich gets the image from a server and writes the partition. Now my question is, is it possible to write a ntfs partition from an image with dd?
>
> I meen something like this:
>
> #create the image
> dd bs=512 </dev/hda1 of=/netmount/image
>
> #play around with the machiene
>
> #restore
> reformat ntfs partition
> dd bs=512 if=/netmount/image >/dev/hda1

Yup, no problem with doing this. The filesystem doesn't even matter
because dd accesses the raw bits off the device. I don't know about your
usage of the command though. I would think you would do it more like
this

dd if=/dev/ntfs_drive of=/name/of/imagefile
and to restore
dd if=/name/of/imagefile of=/dev/ntfs_drive

This is how I have imaged some fat32 partitions. The nice thing is that
you can also mount the image in loopback mode if you want to copy any
files from it.

-Mark