From: Matus "fantomas" Uhlar [mailto:uhlar@fantomas.sk]
Sent: Friday, August 02, 2002 2:25 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Cannot overwrite libc-2.2.5.so

-> I am running Debian 2.2R4 with ReiserFS.
->
-> My entire system hangs when I try to overwrite libc-2.2.5.so.  I am
-> trying to overwrite it with one of the same version from a temporary
-> location.
->
-> When I reboot I get a message saying libc-2.2.5.so is too short and a

-> kernel panic halt.
->
-> Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

what exactly halts? nearly all packaged use libc-2.2.5.so, have it
loaded from memory and if you change it, calls to it hang. Do not wonder
if every running program crashes then...

you need to delete/rename the library, or move new one over the old one
(probably the most secure). This will not touch the existing file and no
programs should crash. You can only expect problems if the new version
of library you installed is broken.

--
 Matus "fantomas" Uhlar, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity...