Re: alternative motd and logo?

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 12:32, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * System Wizards (cube@linfe.it) [020801 10:35]:
> > Here is a possible alternative motd file and a debian/linux logo, to be
> > used by 'less religiuos' debian users.
> > My motd file avoids using GNU; i think that such attribution should not
> > be mandatory.
>
> Mandatory schmandatory. "Credit where credit is due" is enough of a
> reason to insist that it be called by it's true name: "Debian
> GNU/Linux". Debian is far more than just Linux. My hat's off to the GNU
> project, and if you think you owe them nothing (or that avoiding giving
> them credit is something desirable/admirable) you are deluding yourself
> (and probably only yourself).

<Sigh> How much do we of XFree?  Mozilla.org and AOL?  OpenOffice.org
and Sun?  AbiWord?  Ximian?  TrollTech?  KDE.org?

It goes without saying that we all use tons of GNU s/w and s/w developed
on GNU tools.  However, if most Windows based tools and applications
were written in Borland C, instead of VC, should "the other OS" be
called Borland/Windows?  No...

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment |
|  by men of zeal, well-meaning, but without understanding."      |
|   Justice Louis Brandeis, dissenting, Olmstead v US (1928)      |