Re: Linux at work for a corporate desktop

I run only Linux on my box--in fact, on Monday I'm about to get my lease
refreshed on my desktop Dell, and the new hardware will come with the
current standard corporate desktop (XP + Office).  Handily enough they
partition the disk into a C: drive of about 10G with all the Windows
stuff and an empty D: drive containing the rest of the disk (30G I
think), so the first thing I'll do is remove the D: partition and put
back Linux.  I keep the Windows partition for dual-booting, but I
haven't done that in a _LONG_ time (heck, my desktop has currently been
up for:

   10:59:25 up 175 days, 41 min,  0 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.03, 0.06

:)).  The big bummer is that the old standard desktop used FAT32
partitions and the new one uses NTFS, which is not well supported by
Linux.  But, I can't remember the last time I needed to cross-mount,
either, so it's probably no big deal.

For mail we use Exchange, but I just set up fetchmail to grab my mail
for me.

For folks who send me Office docs, I use OpenOffice (or ask for PDF or
PS versions).

For calendaring, I just do it by hand--if people complain about not
being able to use group calendaring for me, I just shrug (our version of
Exchange is too old to interop with Evolution).

For anything else that _REQUIRES_ Windows (very rare), I tend to go
borrow someone else's system for a few minutes.

I used to have VMWare (2.x) and I liked it a lot, but I found I just
didn't use it enough to justify going through the hassle of purchasing
the newer versions, and VMWare 2.x doesn't work well with newer kernels
(there are patches to fix this, but...)

 Paul D. Smith <pausmith@nortelnetworks.com> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools