Re: Running a game server using start-stop-daemon and /etc/init.d

Sorry about not inlining this response.

If you want to have your users run the game server by using sudo then:

* Why put a script in init.d?  That is where startup and shutdown
  scripts that are invoked on runlevel change are put...
* Why use a script at all?

How is:

sudo -u quake2 q2ded

not a solution?  That way users can log in using their own
credentials, but run the quake server as the quake2 user.  If you
have:

%gs	localhost = (quake2) /path/to/q2ded

in /etc/sudoers then any person in the gs group (gs for game servers)
can run q2ded as the quake2 user and nothing else.  Why do you need
start-stop-daemon in a script in /etc/init.d?

Regards
Tom