Re: How Do I download Debian from the net

Kristen Brown wrote:

I am fairly new to Linux and I would like to out
Debian on my new PC. I have been to the installation
site but I still can't tell what or how to download.
It will be going on a Windows box so is there anything
I need to know about how to make it work. Thanx,
Kristen (new to this stuff :P )

Assuming you want to dual-boot between Linux and windows, there are three major steps:

1) Repartition your drive so that Windows takes up part of the drive (preferably the first part; that's easier for newbies) and so that you have a good chunk left over for Linux (2 GB is plenty for most one-user-at-home type setups, but more is always better, and less can be worked with).

2) Figure out how you're going to install (floppies, CD, CD + network, etc), and acquire the appropriate media/connections.

3) Install Linux, configuring for a dual-boot.

It sounds like you're asking about number 2, but we don't know if you plan to install from CD, floppies, an existing hard drive partition, or what. I'd strongly suggest reading the installation manual at http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/install (assuming you are a native English speaker and are installing on an Intel/AMD/-type machine; if not, see http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual).

If you don't want to dual-boot, and only want a Linux setup, life just got easier for you.

Before we can give you any more guidance, you'll have to give us some more detail about your situation (do you plan to dual-boot? will your system boot off CD-ROM? how big is your hard drive? do you have a fast internet connection? are you in a metropolis where it might be easier to buy a CD at the store down the street (assuming they have one)?, etc).

Kent