Re: *** I BADLY WANT OUT !!!!!!!!!*** (unsubscribe)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:05:55 +0930, Tom Cook wrote:

>On  0, Nick <nick@glimmer.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:04:33 -0300, you wrote:
>>
>> >1) I sent and BLANK e-mail to debian-user-request@lists.debian.org with the
>> >subject: unsubscribe
>>
>> WRONG.
>>
>> You need to send an email with NO SUBJECT, BUT WITH A MESSAGE BODY
>> containing the single word "unsubscribe".
>>
>> OK ?
>
>Huh?  In direct contradiction to the bit of advice at the end of each
>email?

Good point !  It does say that.

So I just checked the "Welcome" mails I get every time I subscribe to
this list (I unsubscribe & resubscribe fairly regularly - I just can't
cope with the volume all the time).

On 21st.May my welcome mail said :

   To unsubscribe from this list, send "unsubscribe" in the
   message body
   (the subject should be blank) to:
	<listname>-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
   and you will be removed.

whereas on 31st.July the welcome mail said :

   To unsubscribe from this list, send "unsubscribe" in the
   message subject
   to:
	<listname>-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
   and you will be removed after your confirmation reply has
   been received.

So something has silently changed ... hmmm ...

Be that as it may, *whenever* I subscribe or unsubscribe from Debian
lists, I always play safe and send a mail with just the command word
in *both* the subject line *and* the message body.

Works for me :)

Good luck.

[PS: I make sure there is _nothing_ else in the message body -
especially no signature - some mailing list packages get confused by
such stuff.]

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather
 straps."             -- Emo Phillips