File system with errors, fcsk, GRUB help

Woody in hdb. Root in hdb1. Win 98 in hda.
Compiled a new kernel (2.4.18), image was to big for floppy. Could't make
during installation of image. Didn't make system bootable from hard disk.
later I made a boot disk with mkboot, every time I would boot using this
floppy booting was a problem: Broken Xwindows, and a bunch of crap. Finally
decided to use syslinux floppy (with 2.2.20, default vanilla in woody), when
got in the file system was badly damaged. Recomended to log in and run fcsk
manually (no -p ).
Among other things:
" /dev/hdb1 contains a file system with errors, check forced.
unattached inode 1930279
/dev/hdb1: unexpected inconsistency"
The problem is: I really don't dare to run fcsk manually w/o advise. I would
do it with -p alone, but w/o -p, would like some advise from list.
Otherwise I will have to reinstall all from scratch.
But then I would like to install GRUB as boot loader, only I am not very
sure about the settings, and I know I could easily make win98 unbootable. I
would not want to mess win98 in hda (This is the way I am communicating
now!)
Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.