Re: [Still is] Re: Full-screen editor in /bin

    Patrick> On 31 Jul 2002 marshal@h9.dion.ne.jp wrote:
    >> This is getting into a emacs vs vi flame-fest, so it's time to
    >> start the BBQ.  ^_^

    Patrick> Well, I was a little afraid of that when I asked the
    Patrick> question.  But I disagree with your characterization of
    Patrick> what has seemed to me to be a rather civilized exchange.

I said, "getting".  But yes, you are right.  Nice to have those, even
if it happens to be about vi vs. emacs, or English grammar/usage, as
it was last month.

    Patrick> Perhaps - but I have a lousy short-term memory and
    Patrick> nano/pico have the most often used commands sitting there
    Patrick> at the bottom of the screen.  And a blank page in an
    Patrick> editor strikes me as "intuitively" expecting one to enter
    Patrick> text.  I really have no idea what to do with a text
    Patrick> editor which starts out with _content_ in its opening
    Patrick> page.

Perhaps read it?  ^_^  I guess the there is a lot of stuff on the
opening screen.  It could be streamlined.  But the moment you start
typing in the *scratch* buffer, it tells you at the top that to start
editing a file, you have to create a file with "C-x C-f".  It's pretty
clear enough, if you know what "C-x C-f" means...

    Patrick> Oh, you mean now that _you've_ thrown your fuel into the
    Patrick> fire, the rest of us should be quiet?  (Sorry, but it's a
    Patrick> peeve of mine how often "firemen" purport to be firemen.)

    Patrick> With all respect to your desire to douse a flamewar, this
    Patrick> has been a very useful exchange to me.

"firemen" often are in the fire, aren't they?  ^_^

Heck, I don't mind.  But sometimes others do.  But I guess they forget
that debian-user is a VERY high load list.

Anyways, sorry if I offended.

Marshal