Terminal scrambled after exiting X

When I exit my x-session after booting I get a tiled version of which ever terminal I am on, terminals (tty0,1,2 etc), across the top.  The bottom has white bars that are off set.  In a nutshell it looks like what can happen if you set a res higher than a monitor can handle on a hold monitor.  The terminals still function but the text is too small to see what I am typing.  When I boot up the machine I don't start directly into X so the terminal sessions are okay--it only happens upon exiting X.  Now for some background on my setup....
     I have recentally installed Debian using Ian  Eure's Netinst image:(http://people.debian.org/~ieure/netinst/).  I chose to install the bf2.4 kernel because when I had tried using the 2.2 kernel X would not start.   My graphics card is an ATI All-in-wonder Radeon (7XXX series I believe.)  When I did the install I installed the radeon frame buffer and also the drm for the radeon during the configure kernel phase.
    Anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this and what I might do to resolve it?

Thanks In Advance,
Miles