Re: AA fonts with Windowmaker and Mozilla

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 18:59, Pat Colbeck wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can Windowmaker use AA fonts for its menus etc. I have seen a few screen shots
> that look like they are using AA but can see how to switch it on.
>
> Also I thought Mozilla 1.0 could do AA but cant get it to work. I am running
> Woody.

It's quite in depth and will require a bit of fussing, but heres the
outline.

You need to use Xft as your font server and install lots of truetype
fonts. (/usr/lib/X11/fonts)

Then you need to install libgdkxft.so. This is a hack and causes old GTK
applications to use the new Xft font calls even though they weren't
compiled to do so. apt-get install libgdkxft0

To run mozilla AA, you would then go...

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libgdkxft.so
export USE_GDKXFT=1
mozilla

To run KDE apps AA, you use

export QT_XFT=1

I have in my .xsession file

export QT_XFT=1
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libgdkxft.so
export USE_GDKXFT=1

so all my apps are AA.

Be prepared to fiddle with the /etc/X11/XftConfig file to get your fonts
behaving correctly. Theres docs on the net on how to do this. Also look
at Keith Packards site for Xft examples and free TrueType font packs.

Theres some screenshots of my desktop at
http://www.aeonline.net/crispin/?offset=14
to get you motivated. :)

Good luck. Its quite a mission.

Kind Regards