Network unreachable just after PPP up

I am running a standard Debian installation. So the stop/start-links
in rc*.d were provided by the installation system.

I use pppoe to get online. For the first few seconds after PPP has
established a link, I see various error message in the log from
fetchmail and ddclient indicating they can't reach a destination.

Just after this (it's all a matter of seconds) Shorewall, a
firewall, starts. From then on everything works as it should.

Ddclient and fetchmail are starting from /etc/ppp/ip-up.d so I guess
PPP has succesfully brought up ppp0 (online and working).

My guess is routing is not allowed before the Shorewall scripts run.
I am not sure about this, since I see no permission warnings in the
log that accompany the initial fetchmail and ddclient failures.

The Shorewall script in /etc/rc2.d is numbered 99. Would it be a
good idea to have Shorewall startup sooner? (In which case I will
contact the maintainer of the package.)

Is there another way to create a dependency for the ip.up scripts? I
have thought about putting a sleep statement in the scripts, but
that is hardly a charming option.

Bob