new sendmail, new TLS: HowTo turn it off

Hi!

As the subject says, I have a new sendmail now (upgraded from potato to
 the now-stable woody), and that wants to do TLS.

Well, fine, but I don't _want_ it to. It gives me too much
 support-headaches with my lusers.

However, my searches on _how_ to turn it off have come up rather empty.
 I could rip it out of (sendmail,submit).cf but I'd rather like a nice,
 upwards-compatible, .mc-option.

Any hints/suggestions/FMs to R?

cheers+TIA,
&rw
--
-- I could even see a union for help desk workers (lord knows, they
-- need all the help they can get).                  - Russ Allbery