Re: submitted ftp bug and now feel bad

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@dman.ddts.net> writes:

> I was only trying to be helpful when I submitted my ftp documentation
> enhancement idea below.  Little did I know ftp's help etc. messages
> are already too verbose.   I suppose I should save my cluttersome
> proposals for Debian Jr.

Really, there are lots and lots of user-unfriendly bits to ftp.  It
doesn't make sense to spend time rewriting all of it to make it more
friendly, since there are other ftp clients which are much
friendlier.  Would you suggest that ed be rewritten to have better
help and error messages?

It's also not something a simple help message would help.  It would be
a message like "ftp cannot recursively remove directories.  Either
remove each entry by hand, or use a different client."

Most divorces are caused by the same old tail: weak in, weak out...