elf_get_dynamic_info

A couple of times lately I've had the message

Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion '! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!

appear during booting.  Entering anything at the ensuing
login prompt just brings up the same message.  Ctrl-Alt-Del
doesn't work, and so I have to press the reset button.

Can anyone guess what might me wrong?  I've just
upgraded from Potato to Woody, still with Kernel 2.2.19,
which means that any number of things are still behaving
somewhat strangely.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

David