Re: iptables

Rodney Green, 2002-Jul-29 11:24 -0400:
> How does one enable IPTABLES in Debian? I'm getting the following output
> when trying to do anything with iptables.
>
> Thanks,
> Rod
>
> -------------------------
> debian:/# iptables -L
> modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
> iptables v1.2.6a: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables who?
> (do you need to insmod?)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

You need to either have a 2.4.x kernel installed with iptables enabled
and any/all modules included that you want to use.  You then need
to make sure the required modules are loaded.  Finally, you must have
the iptables packages installed (apt-get install iptables).

Note that there are things you can do to get iptables to run on a
2.2.x kernel, but I don't know what they are.  Perhaps the latest
2.2.20 kernel does it.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer