gimp file open (ez question, I am sure)

easy one here: I'd like to open more than one file at a time in GIMP
(running version 1.0.4 out of sid). Holding control or shift down and
clicking doesn't do anything except highlight the most recent file
clicked on.  Typing *.jpg in the "open" window does not work either,
as the thing says "*.jpg not found" or something.

I just read a FAQ on the web, and it said holding down shift and
dragging should work, but like I said, it didn't seem to.  I couldn't
find it in the manual either (I guess I didn't look hard enough.)
A basic thing, but it doesn't seem to work.

This has got to be something obvious, so please be kind. :)

TIA,
Jeff

--
Jeff Maxson