Re: telnet

: On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 12:01, Rodney Green wrote:
: > Hello. I've enabled telnet in inetd.conf and restarted the service. The
: > Debian machine is listening on port 23. When I attempt
: > to login via telnet the connection looks like it will happen then it
: > terminates. Does anyone have any advice on what to do
: > about this?
:
: Any explicit error messages?
:
: Have you checked /etc/hosts.allow & /etc/hosts.deny ?
:

I guess it's always good to check syslog when you've got a problem. Your
"Any explicit error messages?" question
prompted me to do so. It turns out that telnetd wasn't even installed! So, I
ran the very cool apt-get and installed
it and I'm now able to telnet to the box. Telnet is only a temporary thing
as I will be using SSH. I just wanted
to use telnet so I can login and familiarize myself with Debian. I just
installed it for the first time yesterday. I'm
liking it so far. I find the apt package managing tool to be very cool.
Thanks for your time.

Rod