Re: apt-get update results in "Faulty Tree"

Colin Watson wrote:

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 08:00:02PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
See bottom line: any clues? dselect has a similar problem.
[...]
Segmentation faulty Tree... 0%

That's "segmentation fault", not "faulty tree". The text just happens to
overwrite that way.

It's a bug in apt of some kind ...

Ok; that makes sense.

On a lark, I looked in /var/lib/dpkg, and found a couple of files with "-old" on the end. So I backed up "available" and "status" and then copied the "-old" versions of those files to the corresponding names, and now it seems the problem is fixed.

Have I fixed the problem, or have I just really shot myself without knowing it yet?

Kent