Re: No X after upgrade from Potato to Woody

Thanks Steven,

Back here at band camp I've followed your suggestions and found a number of
related threads in archives. "dpkg-reconfigure xcommon-server" was recommended
and that told me that xcommon-server wasn't fully installed. so i used dselect
to install it, found i needed to remove 40 packages and get 30, did so and
then made the mistake of letting debconf write my XF86Config file. But at
least that is now giving me some useful error messages when I try startx and
so I'm editing new config file to reflect the old one that worked. I'm hoping
that will solve it.

But work has intervened and I have to wait about 8 hours to get back to it.

Thanks for your advice.

Ken

On Thu, 25 Jul 2002 13:53:18 -0400 Stephen Gran <gashuffer09@comcast.net>
wrote:

This one time, at band camp, Ken Januski said:
> First of all sorry for using Outlook. But the upgrade seems to have killed X

> and Netscape which I use for email.
>
> Anyway I used apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade, then apt-get
> dist-upgrade fix-missing, when I was told some packages were missing.
> Eventually I got to the point where it seemed all errors were taken care of.

> But I guess these errors when running startx:
>
> X: Unable to open wrapper config file /etc/X11/XWrapper.config
> X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X no such file or directory
> xinit: connection refused (errno 111): unable to connect to X server
> xinit: no such process (errno 3): server error
>
> I wonder if this could have been caused by fact that I inadvertently had X
> running on an alternate screen when running the update.
>
> But my real question: How do I fix it?
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
>
> Ken
I think I've seen this in the list before - you might try searching the
archives.  Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that some of the X
packages get accidentally removed during the upgrade.  Try xlibs and
xbase-clients in particular, IIRC.

HTH,
Steve
--
That secret you've been guarding, isn't.