Re: Gnome2

>On 24/07/02, from the brain of Peter Whysall tumbled:

> On Wed, 2002-07-24 at 16:53, Michael Montagne wrote:
> > Well, I just couldn't help myself.  I added unstable and experimental
> > and the hadess lines to my sources.list and tried to install Gnome2.
> > After needing to manually download and install gnome-utils, everything
> > finally installed and configured correctly (I used dist-upgrade).  It
> > almost works.  After the gdm login screen, I am greeted with a nice
> blue
> > screen with a blank white box in the middle.  And then it all stops
> > the latest but didn't make any difference.
>
> You will probably need the following packages installed:
>
> gnome-session2
> gnome-panel2
>
> I would recommend the following packages also:
>
> nautilus2
> gnome-applets2
> gnome-control-center2
> gnome-media2
> gnome2-user-guide
> metacity
>
> If you apt-get that lot, you'll probably do better.
>
> Then you probably need to visit your alternatives to verify that stuff
> is being properly used:
>
> update-alternatives --config x-session-manager
> update-alternatives --config x-window-manager
>
> Ensure that both of these are pointing to the programs of your choice
> (in my case, that's /usr/bin/gnome-session and /usr/bin/metacity,
> respectively)
>
> Another thing I found that was that the session took a very long time to
> start up until I saved my settings on exit, and then it was fine after
> that.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Peter.

As it turns out, I did have all those settings correct and all those
packages installed.  No difference.  I even let it sit for an hour
waiting.  The screensaver came on but all I can see is a white box in
the middle of a very nice blue screen.  Fortunately, it is my old
Gateway laptop and not critical.  I can't seem to find any bad log
messages.  It appears to just hang.

--
  Michael Montagne  [montagne@boora.com]   503.226.1575