Re: OT: Flamebait: Text vs HTML email

>> There are indeed good reasons for using plain text. However, email is
>> for conveying information, and it seems to me that more info can be
>> conveyed with HTML than with text.
>
> I don't remember ever receiving an HTML email that actually benefited
> from being in HTML, so in practice, I disagree.

I think this is kent's failing.  I have seen solid uses of html in homogenous
corporate environments.  However in the free for all of people's sisters,
mothers or brothers sending them horrible mail because they discovered <font
size="really_big">LOOK AT THIS</font> things are different.

Most of his points make sense in an enclosed, controlled environment.  Open
mailing lists are just a different beast.

> If you have something to say that will really benefit from
> HTML, set up your own web page somewhere and mail out the URL. Your mail
> will be very compact, and only those who are interested need to download
> the page.

the only problem I have with this statement is then list archives become less
useful.  People invariable change their websites and not the needed information
is gone, moved, changed, etc.