Re: why is the Gnome desktop environment so slow!!!

Armenteros Roberto wrote:
... <about gnome> ...
> environment. Graphics are nice, but performance is
> really bad. The drawing capabilities are so poor.
> Windows take forever to open. Nautilius is just a
> heavy old rino. "I have an NVidia GeForce 2 Ti which
> is supposed to handle graphics like cake." If you guys

  are you sure you are using right X server with all the optimisations
enabled?

  are you sure you have enough memory? my guess is that not enough RAM
is the problem... use gkrellm or xosview or something like that to see
how much memory is used (and use top, press M (or lavaps or some other
program) to see who uses the memory)

> do anything to the gnome environment to make it faster
> or have found a good alternative to Nautilius please
> let me know. Not that I am going to abandon BlackBox
> "I would never do so" but sometimes my sister wants to
> use my computer and she needs an easy environment.
> "When she uses Gnome she is always complaining..." I
> already gave up with KDE by the way.

  you can setup almost any WM to be easy to use (some obvious way to
launch common applications, easy access to menu, window
decoration/control that she understands etc.). so you might want to use
some other WM, fvwm is particularly flexible (not particularly easy to
configure but whatever she likes can probably be configured in fvwm) and
fairly light-weight...

	erik