Re: backup of changed files

* Torrin (torrin@torrin.dyndns.org) [020723 09:33]:
> Hey everybody,
>
> What tools should I use to backup changed files?
>
> Let me give you an example.
>
> on my computer /etc/resolv.conf has changed since I installed it, but
> /etc/services hasn't.  Is there a tool I can use to find out which files
> have changed since installation?  Then I want to put all those files on
> a CD.  I think I can manage that with mkisofs but I'm not sure.

Well, FWIW, I do an entire system backup (not pruning non-changed
things) and it easily fits on a single CD. This even includes my home
directory, with whatever goodies it contains. My point about that is
that you should easily be able to fit the entire contents of your
"system" data (/etc, /var/log /var/lib /var/cache/apt /var/backups
/var/cvs /usr/local) on a single CD without futzing around with
excluding the unchanged files. This will give you a backup that is more
complete, will be a simpler script (and thus less room for error via
accidentally excluding too much, etc.), and will be more likely to
restore correctly when a rebuild is necessary.

So I don't answer your question, only point out that you may not need to
do what you asked how to do ;)

If you have somewhere a "clean" installation to compare it to, you may
be able to work out what you need using diff, tar, find, or even rsync.
Actually, if you have a clean system, you could start by installing
tripwire to take a snapshot of your system, do your usual
customizations, and then ask tripwire what changed.

I guess the root of your question is "how can I ask the debian package
management tools which files are unchanged?" The packages do include MD5
sums of the files they include (in
/var/lib/dpkg/info/<packagename>.md5sums) so you could get generate
yourself a list of files which have changed.

Anyway, I'm just rattling off half-complete ideas since I don't really
have The Answer. If any of these ideas sounds interesting, I can expound
a bit.

good times,
Vineet
--