Re: Galeon and raised windows

At 8:51 Uhr +0200 23.07.2002, Karsten M. Self wrote:
This seems to be an ongoing Mozilla / gecko bug.  Suggest you check out
Mozilla's bugzilla for related bugs.

Thanks, I have found the (many) bug reports on those window raise/focus problems (sadly, most people don't state exactly whether they are talking about raise or focus). There is also a possible fix through prefs.js ('user_pref("mozilla.widget.raise-on-setfocus",false);') but funnily before editing this file I now don't see the problem anymore anyway?!

Try tabbed browsing.  "Open windows in tabs" and "Insert new tab after
current tab".  Even over a slow dialup link, I can browse a page, open
links, and they'll be (usually) loaded by the time I go to look at them.
All without disturbing my current window.  Galeon rocks!

Some time ago I decided to ditch tabs because I'm already used to handling windows; this still holds true: how do you close tabs with the keyboard (like I can close a windowmaker window with meta-F4; -> seems that Ctl-w works -- but does it also when the url bar has the focus?...), how do you swap between the two most recent tabs (and the 3 most recent and so on, the stuff you can do in the window manager with meta-tab-tab).

For tabbing to be generally useful, it must be standardized, so that all applications behave the same. See, I have already given up on Ctl-w since it's not really available everywhere and use meta-F4 instead. The window manager guarantees me that it will work. For example, xchat uses Ctl-[1-9] for switching tabs (which is not the same as the meta-tab thingie, though), why not galeon as well?

Also strangely, the "Insert new tab after current tab" setting doesn't seem to have any effect, middle-click always opens the new tab after the current and without bringing it to the foreground (that's going a bit too far into the backgrounding direction :-)).

Well I'm happy again now that the bug seems to have gone meditating
Thanks,
Christian.