Re: system freezes (was: X freezes)

At 10:23 AM 7/22/02, you wrote:
Hello,

I am running woody in an Athlon system. Sometimes, when I am working, the
system freezes. I though that it was a X problem, so I started a thread on it
in the past. When this happens nothing works, no ctrl+alt+bksp, no
ctrl+alt+F1. The keyboard doesn't respond. The only way to resucite the
system is with a hard reset...In order to restart the system in a more
clean fashion, I enabled sshd. In this way I can log into the system from
another machine an try to restart the system. The ssh daemon works fine, I
tested it. Today the problem appeared again, the system freezed. But when I
tried to log into the system from another machine I get the message "secure
connection to xxx.xx.xxx.xx. refused". So when the system freezes, the ssh
daemond stops running too. I think that the problem is not a X problem, but a
more serious kernel (or something like that) one.
I don't have any idea of what is wrong in the system...

TIA

Marcelo

I had the same problem when I used the 2.4.2 kernel. There was something
somewhere (archives, website or /.) that was talking about the kernel causing
problems.  If memory serves correctly, it was an issue with a memory leak. I
stopped having that problem when I moved to the 2.4.18 kernel.