OT: Re: naming schemes (was Re: Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 released)

On Sunday 21 July 2002 02:58 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-07-21 at 16:44, martin f krafft wrote:
> > also sprach Derrick 'dman' Hudson <dman@dman.ddts.net>
[2002.07.21.2043 +0200]:
> > > Greece is a large town with Lake Ontario on the north and
> > > Rochester on the east (in western NY).
> >
> > No. Greece is a country. Someone may, at one point, have used that
> > name to baptise a city, but guess which was there first... ;^>
>
> I think that the bits of geography on the south shore of that
> northern lake, and the mountainous region on the northeastern
> corner that big ocean have probably existed about the same
> amount of time.  SO... which one was there first?

You're mixing pointers and values ...

> Also, "Greece" is _only_ the _name_ given by the Anglos.

I don't think that the Romans are classified as Anglo-Saxon :)

> I'd
> bet a nickle that those-that-Anglos-call-Greece don't spell or
> pronounce it the same as Anglos.  So, I bet that Greece, NY
> actually did get there first...

"Greece" the social construct, the name or the physical location ?

Gah, it's as bad as people calling "The Times" "The London Times" :)

- Derek