Re: How to recover lost disk contents

> By a stupid mistake I destroy the contents of my harddisk with the command
> 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda'  ?s it possible to recover the data on the
> harddisk?

No.  Sorry about your loss.

By way of lengthy and usually expensive operations it is theoretically
possible to extract previous data from a disk drive.  That is debated
on the crypto lists often.  But unless you are the NSA or
independently wealthy then you probably don't have the resources.

Theory aside, practicality is another matter.  Unless you have a
backup then no.  It is not possible to recover that data.  You have
overwritten the data.  It is gone.  It has expired.  The parrot is no
more.

Thinking of it in another way, if it really were possible to recover
the previous data after writing new data to the disk then you would
have found a way to doubling the disk drive space immediately.  If you
can get to both the old and the new data then you actually would have
double the disk space.  You can't and so you don't.

Bob